Ruby is not Rails. Learn Ruby first.
- Go through the Ruby Koans (simplest with 1.8.7)
- Go through some TDD exercises
- Code a simple ruby script that solves a problem you have, like…
- Add a TODO to a file
- Print out the date in another time zone
- Tell you how many days until…
- Perform some repetative task related to your environment
- Display something silly for your kids
Ruby is not Rails. You do not need to learn all the “magic” of Rails to learn the awesome of Ruby. Spend some time and get where you can really drive a script and solve a simple problem. Doing this will get you far beyond a beginning Rails developer. You simply have to learn the magic incantations of Rails to be able to develop web apps after that. And those incantations won’t be nearly as scary.